Saturday, January 24, 2009

Artist To Watch: Wish

www.myspace.com/wishishere


On twitter I get a few messages from time to time of people asking for a spotlight - generally I'm not feeling the music and never do a spotlight and keep it moving.

Last weekend, I decided to go through allllllllll of the music in my inbox and came across the horrific "music" that caused me to write my previous post about keeping it real (Here). My faith in the LORD and GOOD music was restored when I opened the next email from baby girl, WishIsHere; this chick can SANG! No, really! She is GREAT!

The thing that makes this Young Lady very special, is the fact that you can't put her in a box. One thing that makes it hard for Artists to continue with their career for years is being "outdated" or being that someone for a different generations ear. Example: Tiffany Evans is a BEAUTIFUL and talented girl, I remember her on Star Search and watching her grow up and do her music thing was refreshing, her problem is, not her age, it's that her sound is only a sound kids can rock to and when it comes time for that second album, those teens lose interest (just ask Soulja Boy). Bow Wow is another example, it's hard for people in my generation to not look at him as the lil kid rapping on the porch with JD in "Bounce Bounce"; Wish has a sound the kids and adults can relate to.

It helps that she can REALLY sing, but her music is playful enough for the kids to feel it yet crunk for my generation to vibe to it in the car on the way to the club and in the club. If her marketing game is as on point as her product, please believe me when I saw you'll be hearing about her.

She asked me to do an "Artist Preview" because she is not signed and is still seeking proper representation but over here I only feature underground artists who are seeking for their next big break; those Spotlight worthy. Wish Is INDEED Here! :)

Tracks:
Slut - MySpace Song
Silly - Cover Track
Skool Gurl Diaries Sampler

Album:
Skool Gurl Diaries (release date TBA)

Current Residence:
NY/NJ Hometown: Baltimore, MD

Musical Influences:
Mary J. Blige, Prince, Queen, The Clark Sisters, Faith Evans, Beyonce, Chaka Khan, Maroon 5, Brandy, Pink

Shows Dates will follow early summer..

Contact:
Booking inquiries: ohh.wish@gmail.com
Myspace: www.myspace.com/wishishere


Bio:
Like a diamond in the ruff Wish, the Unsigned emerging artist from Baltimore, MD is here to conquer. "It's been a long road even up until this very point, even without a deal. It's rough, but I don't plan on quitting. Ever." Wish's piercing alto is the remnants of her everchanging story....

It began at about 7 years old, where Wish grew up on the church choir along with family & neighborhood friends. This was her 1st attempt to grab the mic. At the end of that very 1st solo, she knew music was going to be a major part of her life. And so it was. Many church, school, & neighborhood events, talent/fashion shows followed as she continued to perform.

Often described as a "high pitched raspy alto", you can feel the conviction from her soul. "I want people to know that I mean every word I sing, even if I sing a song a million times, they gotta know by the time I'm done, I meant it all. I want people to believe me. If I don't believe me, then who will?" Studying favorites like Mary J. Blige, Chaka Khan, Queen, Mariah, & Beyonce, these are all artists who possess the epidemy of "feeling" and are great at conveying pure emotion to an audience. "Who doesn't want to be great? Of course I do."

Growing up with as an only child was easy. "When I got out of school, my friends would go play hopscotch, I would go home, do my homework, and put my headphones on for the rest of the night. My favorite CD was Mary J. Blige "Whats the 411". I played it until it got all scratched up. Then I'd end up in class late the next morning because I decided I wanted to have a "singing contest" with one of my classmates in the yard. Funny, but true."
Skool Gurl Diaries is Wish's 1st solo attempt, after donning in 2 girl groups, she found that the hard work gained from those experiences has prepped her enough to stand on her very own. "Groups are a learning experience. It was a true example of sisterhood and taught me how to work cooperatively with people. Musically, it helped with harmonies, knowing how to blend, and just working off of each others energies. It was really fun time in my life."

Now residing in NJ, the solo sensation is putting the finishing touches her album. Best friend/songwriter Donny Roc, has written all songs except two, on the album. "I feel the chemistry between he and I cannot be forced. It just happens. We naturally enjoy what we do." The two recorded a plethora of songs before choosing the final 15. "We blindly went into the studio, not knowing what we would come up with, and Donny wrote everything on the spot, & out came a new sound. Wish's sound!"

Putting Wish in a genre, may be the hardest thing to do. "I'm inspired by Rock, R&B, Jazz, Gospel and Hip Hop. To put one's self in a box, is the worst thing you can do. I love to have fun with it all." Skool Gurl Diaries is a fusion of R&B/Alternative music, with some Pop ballads.

What you can expect from Skool Gurl Diaries are memorable melodies, brilliant harmonies, attacking vocals & ad libs, and a collection of short stories that most of us at one point in time have related to or be able to relate to. Loosely based on the "School Girl" mantra, each character Wish portrays in the album has her own story.
Cheerleader. Nerd. Prom Queen. Everyday chick.

"When I was in school, I held a lot of things back. Now I think its my turn to speak for the girls, women, & whoever else may have had trouble interpreting their feelings. I used to feel like I did'nt fit in at school, & I think people think they're alone when in a moment like that. Young people have issues, and they need to feel like they're not wrong for feeIing certain ways or for being different. I wanna speak to those people."

5 comments:

Amani Roberts said...

I like her. I am going to try to get her for a quick interview on Mirth Nadir. Nice spotlight here.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

She is great.... Great sound, great look... Looking forward to the full album

Anonymous said...

she's dope.

Anonymous said...

Nice!!!! You are on your way. Keep it up. It's your time!!!

Anonymous said...

I knew her in high school. Im so proud of her!!! She's no nonsense...lol

 
Music Marketing 101 © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você